Esteban Vázquez said in December 19th, 2008 at 5:13 am

Keeping it to commentaries, since there are many works in several areas to which I turn frequently, I would say the NIV Application Commentaries and Calvin’s Commentaries on the Whole Bible. Of all commentaries on my bookshelves, these alone proved unfailing helpful to me in erstwhile duties as a Christian preacher. Of course, I’ve haven’t had the pleasure to look over the NLT Cornerstone Commentaries, so there may be a third “unfailingly helpful” resource out there of which I’m not yet aware! 🙂

Nick Norelli said in December 19th, 2008 at 7:04 am

I’d have to say that as of late I’ve found myself constantly referring to Craig Keener’s The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament before engaging in any deeper study. It’s a great reference with tons of terse info. As far as series go, you can’t beat those IVP Black Dictionaries. I have five of the eight volumes and I use them all the time; they’re quite thorough and written by some of the world’s best scholars.

Bob Hayton said in December 19th, 2008 at 7:15 am

I am somewhat limited by my hodge-podge collection of commentaries and reference works. I would say that I probably reference Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology quite a bit. It’s helpful because on various theological discussion topics (spiritual gifts, Calvinism, baptism, etc.) Wayne presents a Biblical discussion that’s fair and balanced. I often find myself agreeing with most of what he says.

Another handy reference for me are my Expositor’s Bible Commentaries that I have on several books of the New and Old Testaments. I do not have the entire series, but I have several of the hardback volumes that have 4 or 5 books covered, and I have some of the softcover volumes that cover 2 or 3 books. In this vein I also like the Tyndale Commentary paperbacks as well.

Of course I use Greek reference tools (and now Hebrew), and other books, but the above two are probably used most often currently.

Shaun Tabatt said in December 19th, 2008 at 8:37 am

Nick,
I love the new Avatar. Is there a story behind the duck? 😉

Shaun Tabatt said in December 19th, 2008 at 8:38 am

Esteban,
This is a first. Thanks for stopping by!

Shaun Tabatt said in December 19th, 2008 at 8:40 am

Bob,
Even for a hodge-podge, your library is quite impressive. Although not as impressive as Nick’s library. Most small seminaries and theological schools would start breaking commandments and covet Nick’s library. 😉

Brian Tabb said in December 19th, 2008 at 8:48 am

The most important Biblical studies tool to me by far is Accordance Bible software, put out by Oak Tree. I’ve been using Accordance since I started grad school in 2003 and spend hours each day doing word searches in the original language, using the interactive maps and timelines, and consulting cross-references and commentaries. If I was on a desert island with electricity and my Accordance powered Mac, I would be amply supplied to exegete for days. Since I’m working on a thesis on the use of the OT in the NT right now, I can give an honorable mention shout out to the Commentary on the Use of the OT in the NT edited by Beale and Carson. It is indispensable!

Bob Hayton said in December 19th, 2008 at 9:25 am

I second Esteban’s interest in the Tyndale Cornerstone Biblical Commentary series! 😉

I do have one NIV Application Commentary (2 Cor.) and it is excellent.

Esteban Vázquez said in December 19th, 2008 at 9:55 am

Oh, my pleasure! I mean, you commented on my blog, and you know what they say — you scratch my back, and I’ll scratch yours. 😉

Michael Ochoa said in December 19th, 2008 at 10:08 am

I would have to say Kittel’s Theological Dictionary of the New Testament. I always wanted this set, borrowed them occasionally from friends, but found a complete set for 25.00 in great condition and so this has become my favorite to use. I also like my Bible Doctrine(condensed or abridged Systematic Theology)By Wayne Grudem, I recently purchased this at a bargain price and refer to it weekly in our family devotions. As a very close second is my Thayers Greek English Lexicon. I just love it’s how comfortable it is to use with my other tools.

Nancy said in December 19th, 2008 at 10:47 am

Ok, I’m just going to come right out an blow you guy’s away with my top pick….BIBLE GATEWAY! It has every version I will ever look at…lots of Commentary, doesn’t take up a lot of space, and will never give me a wrist sprain on snatching it from the self… and of course, my favorite reference…The Holy Bible on the Holy Bible…*: )

Nick Norelli said in December 19th, 2008 at 1:48 pm

Shaun: You know how when Jesus was baptized the Father spoke from heaven as a dove descended upon him? Well, the can of soda (it’s a Pepsi even though you can’t see the label) is my baptismal water, the Father is speaking from the heavens although this can’t be captured in a picture, and the duck is the Holy Spirit. 😛

As far as my library goes, it’s not all that impressive, especially when you find out what Esteban’s library looks like!

KAB said in December 19th, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Bauer and Danker’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature

and

Koehler, Baumgartner and Stamm’s The Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament

Jonathan Watson said in December 19th, 2008 at 7:20 pm

I prefer the NIV Application Commentary and the Baker Exegetical Commentary Series. A close third is the Expositor’s Bible Commentary. I find there’s enough breadth between these three to provide a good foundation to work on.

(Best part is that all three are available in electronic format. Logos and Pradis.)

Brian Kooshian said in December 19th, 2008 at 7:41 pm

I use John Gill’s commentary a lot, even though I don’t always agree. When it comes to insights into the Hebrew, he’s one of the best of the old writers.

I also find myself using Cairns’ Dictionary of Theological Terms. I like that it’s concise, and approaches things from a Reformed perspective.

Charles Savelle said in December 19th, 2008 at 7:58 pm

My two favorite reference works are the Anchor Bible Dictionary and the IVP Dictionaries (Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, Paul and His Letters, etc.). There are obviously other options, but I have found that the articles in these two works are consistently well written and informative.

Nancy said in December 19th, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Uh, Nick…we also can’t see the lightning that is about to strike…Really sounds like you need the book…*; )

Bob Hayton said in December 20th, 2008 at 9:38 am

Wow. I thought there were only four applicants. Shaun likes to stockpile the entries and release all the comments much later, I see! 🙂

Shaun Tabatt said in December 20th, 2008 at 11:32 am

Surprise! I finally got around to approving the additional comments this morning. 😉 The winner will be announced shortly. As far as reference works go, I’ve been working with A New Reader’s Lexicon of the Greek New Testament from Kregel & using LOGOS Bible Software a lot recently.