Doug said in December 23rd, 2010 at 11:21 am

With so many books riding on this one answer, I will go
were angels fear to tread. On year, my wife and I, before we had
children, each received a gift from my recently divorced father. He
gave this gift based on our recently chosen professions. My wife
had recently graduated from medical school and was working as an
intern. I, had recently become a member of the state bar. My
father, thinking he had got us great gifts gave us “Boyd Bears”.
One was a judge, (he told me that “isn’t that what every attorney
aspire to be?”), and he gave my wife a similar one for for her
occupation. My wife and I both looked at the gifts, forced a smile
and said thank you. Even if I don’t win, I hope it brings you a
smile.

Joel said in December 23rd, 2010 at 3:06 pm

I’ve given my son coal before, so you might say that I’m
writing this for him (Landon). We live in the mountains of West
Virginia, where coal is abundant. I work in the coal industry and
because of this, I get to spend some of my time at coal mines. My
son eats this stuff up. So, for the past three Christmas’, I’ve
given him big chunks of coal. Growing up, we were always threatened
with coal, but he loves it. We place the 20lb or so rock on the
floor, with a bow and he loves it. Odd little boy.

Mike White said in December 23rd, 2010 at 3:10 pm

I have a reputation in my family of smelling good (however
weird that may sound). I have a nice collection of cologne and like
to smell pleasant wherever I go. Remember, everyone in my family is
aware of this. Well a few years back, my family was gathered at my
grandmother’s home for our traditional Christmas celebration. My
grandma was giving out her gifts to everyone; everyone was getting
awesome gifts: giftcards to favorite stores, new electronics,
awesome toys for my younger cousins. My expectation level was high
when she handed me my gift with a smirk. I opened it to find
deoderant and Brute (read: old man) cologne. I forced a smile and
went with it. Later my grandma told me she thought I wore sissy
cologne and decided I should get some real cologne. I gave the
Brute to my grandpa, who loved it. Now, every year, she gives me
the same gift. Maybe I really do smell…

Doug said in December 23rd, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Joel wins. I can’t beat that story.

Jamison said in December 23rd, 2010 at 6:22 pm

These are pretty good stories! All I have is my super weird aunt’s gifts. 2 years ago, she gave us plastic books filled with rolled hard candy. Last year, a matching set of scented candles. To a boy? Over 20?? Who does that?!

Bob Hayton said in December 23rd, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Not sure if this is really a gift, but the first year my family were missionaries in Zambia, my brother and I were invited to a special Christmas service at a local, Zambian church. The specialty for the day was Mukoyu, a traditional drink served at Christmas time. They mixed it up in 50 barrell drums, and it tasted like they used sour milk with it, along with various roots and herbs. It is hands down the worst food or drink item I’ve ever experienced.

Anyway, being the two foreigners, we were given the first cup, and somehow I suffered through it. It’s rude not to finish it you know. Later, my conniving brother mentioned to one of the pastors that his brother really loved the Mukoyu, and wanted another cup. So ceremoniously they brought me forward to give me another cup. I don’t remember what I did to get even with my brother, but I know I did something!

That’s my strangest Christmas gift I’ve ever received, if you can call it a gift!

Thanks for the contest, Shaun. Fun and interesting as always….

Shaun Tabatt said in December 24th, 2010 at 9:38 am

The judges have ruled and the winner is….Joel. It’s hard to beat a 20 lb piece of coal with a bow. Thanks everybody for sharing.