Review Date: 10/26/2011 by Shaun Tabatt
In a world that is fast-paced and full of distractions, it is difficult for parents and ministry leaders to get the attention of teens. The reality is that in order to capture their attention and hopefully their hearts, we’re going to need to put in some extra effort. If we fail to do this, the media (music, movies, internet, etc.), their peers, and other teachers / influencers will fill in the gaps for us. The first step to influencing our teens for Christ and shaping their worldview is to give them our time. The second step is to be intentional about discipling our teens. A key part of this discipleship is to give them guidance on the types of doubts our modern culture will try to place on them as they are striving to grow and mature in their faith. This second step may seem a bit daunting as you wonder if you are even equipped to answer the questions your teens have related to their faith. Don’t despair just yet, as there are many great resources that you can get plugged into to help guide your discussions and equip you with the information you need to effectively answer their questions. A new resource that will be very useful in this regard is the Answers Book For Teens: Your Questions God’s Answers.
AB4T is geared for teens ages 13-17. It contains 15 lessons that are each centered around a core question. The lessons / chapters are about 5-6 pages in length. Topics covered are:
* Q1 – How can anyone believe that the Bible is true since it was written so long ago when people didn’t know stuff?
* Q2 – If God’s really so great, why does He let so much pain and bad stuff happen in the world, like earthquakes, floods, and wars??
* Q3 – I believe God created the earth, but does it really matter how old the earth is?
* Q4 – Who has the most evidence – creationists or evolutionists?
* Q5 – With everything I hear about God not existing…how can we even know that He does exist?
* Q6 – Come on, why would God punish the whole world for one guy’s mistake?
* Q7 – If God really loved the world, why would He make a flood to kill everyone off?
* Q8 – How could God populate the world with just two people a few thousand years ago?
* Q9 – Should people from different races marry each other, or is that wrong?
* Q10 – Why should I listen to what the Bible says about sex?
* Q11 – If Christians are supposed to love everybody, why do they always seem to hate gay people?
* Q12 – How are we supposed to talk about God and the Bible in school when it’s illegal?
* Q13 – How can we be sure Jesus is the only way to get to God?
* Q14 – The Bible…and dinosaurs…and dragons?
* Q15 – Why would God ever want to save someone as messed up as me?
It is also important to note that key terms, peoples, and worldviews are defined in the introduction to ensure that all readers are on the same page with the authors.
Considering the look and feel of the book, the pictures and graphics used throughout will definitely appeal to the intended teen audience. I know there is always concern that this sort of a book will seem a bit hokey, but given the quality of the writing and overall presentation, I feel strongly that teens will find it engaging and relevant. Personally I will be using AB4T for devotional reading with my teens / pre-teens ages 11-13. I would recommend it to parents and ministry leaders looking for a resource to help them intentionally interact with their teens on any of the questions covered in the book.
Bodie Hodge is the author of Fall of Satan (Master Books, 2011) and co-author of Dragons: Legends and Lore of Dinosaurs (Master Books, 2011). He is on the staff of Answers in Genesis, and is a speaker, writer, contributor, and researcher on a host of topics related to apologetics, biblical history, and the book of Genesis.
Dr. Tommy Mitchell is a scientist, physician, and father who has a burden to provide solid answers from the Bible to equip people to stand in the face of personal tragedy and popular evolutionary misinformation.
Ken Ham is an accomplished author of some of the most popular and effective apologetics research on the market. He is the founder of Answers in Genesis – U.S. and the president of the Creation Museum.
Where to Buy:
- PDF of Introduction and Sample Chapter
- Book Trailer:
This book was provided by Master Books for review. The reviewer was under no obligation to offer a favorable review.
Latest posts by Shaun Tabatt (see all)
- Book Review: The Garden, the Curtain and the Cross - April 2, 2016
- Book Giveaway: Being Dad: Father as a Picture of God’s Grace by Dr. Scott Leonard Keith - January 11, 2016
- Free Audiobook: COMMON ENGLISH BIBLE – AUDIO EDITION - January 5, 2016