Our family recently embarked on our first ever Homeschool Road Trip to the Creation Museum in Petersburg, KY. As a homeschool family, an important aspect of this trip was introducing our children to resources that would help them maximize their experience at the Museum. The fourth resource we shared with our children was the Explore the Grand Canyon with Noah Justice DVD.
The Awesome Science series published by Master Books is hosted by 14 -year-old Noah Justice. In Explore the Grand Canyon with Noah Justice, viewers have the opportunity to tag along with Noah as he explores Grand Canyon National Park. He takes a look at the 40 layers of the Grand Canyon, offering explanations of how what we find there fits with the biblical record. Some of the key concepts that come across in the film are:
- The Grand Canyon was cut in just days, not millions of years
- Its massive layers show evidence of being laid down in less than a year
- The Biblical record can be trusted as Earth’s history book
The main views contrasted in the film are that either the Colorado river formed the Grand Canyon over millions of years or a catastrophic worldwide flood set in motion the process by which we arrived at the Grand Canyon we have today. If you follow other material published by Master Books, it’s no surprise that the film is heavily in support of the latter view. Noah gives credible support to the catastrophe view by pointing to modern day events such as the eruptions at Mt. St. Helens and a flood at Glenn Canyon Damn, which were both capable of achieving geologic features very simliar to what we find at the Grand Canyon in a very short time span.
I had the pleasure of watching this video with my kids ages 2 to 13. As far as comprehension and ability to follow the film go, I’d recommend it for kids ages 5+. If this is something you’d like to make a part of your homeschool science curriculum, you should strongly consider ordering the DVDs along with their related study guides. The Awesome Science series will be engaging and entertaining to both kids and adults. I heartily agree with my 6-year-old’s evaluation of the film. He said, “Dad, this science stuff is really awesome!”
DVDs and Study Guides
This DVD was provided by Master Books for review. The reviewer was under no obligation to offer a favorable review.
You can learn more about our Homeschool Road Trip from the earlier posts in the series:
- Homeschool Road Trip – Creation Museum – LINK
- Homeschool Road Trip – Creation Museum – Resource # 1 – The Answers Book for Kids, Volume 2 – LINK
- Homeschool Road Trip – Creation Museum – Resource # 2 – A is For Adam – LINK
- Homeschool Road Trip – Creation Museum – Resource # 3 – Charlie and Trike in the Grand Canyon Adventure – LINK
Latest posts by Shaun Tabatt (see all)
- Author Talks 115: Mark Wilson – Victory Through the Lamb - October 15, 2014
- Author Talks 114: Chris Sinkinson – Time Travel to the Old Testament & Backchat - October 14, 2014
- Author Talks 113: Walter C. Kaiser, Jr. – Biblical Portraits of Creation - October 9, 2014