Mac users around the world are feverishly downloading the highly anticipated upgrade to the Macintosh OS. To be honest I was fairly underwhelmed when I upgraded to OSX 10.7. However, looking at the some of the key features and enhancements to Mountain Lion, I think it will be well worth the $20 upgrade price. Here are the features that will make the upgrade worthwhile for me:
- iCloud integration – The ability to easily synch my mail, calendars, contacts, reminders, documents, and notes between my mac and ios devices is definitely a feature I’ve wanted since I bought my iPad. This feature alone may make the upgrade worthwhile.
- Messages – I’m looking forward to using iMessage on the mac. There are many times when I’m working in my office where it’d be more convenient to respond to a new message directly from my MacBook, rather than picking up my iPhone.
- Dictation – So many companies have attempted dictation software, it’s not even funny. In my experience most of it has been just horrible. I’m excited to give it a try on the mac and I really hope it exceeds my past experiences on other platforms.
- AirPlay Mirroring – This is one of the features that stood out to me when I first heard of Mountain Lion. We’ve all been in those situations where we’re doing a presentation or hosting a meeting and the stupid projector won’t work properly. For mac users this can be an even more difficult problem as you need to have the right adapter with you to connect to an external video connection. This all changes with AirPlay Mirroring, which will allow you to stream your desktop over the network to an Apple TV. I can see a lot of practical application for this in the workplace and at home, so I guess this just gives me an excuse to finally get one. Looks like there will also be an ability to stream audio to AirPlay enabled speakers, which could be fun as well.
All things considered, if you’re a Mac user with one or more ios devices, you should strongly consider upgrading to Mountain Lion. At $20, the cost is pretty much a no brainer. The features I mention above as well as the numerous other features they’re touting should only make you love your mac that much more. Happy upgrading! 😉
Latest posts by Shaun Tabatt (see all)
- Book Review: The Garden, the Curtain and the Cross - April 2, 2016
- Book Giveaway: Being Dad: Father as a Picture of God’s Grace by Dr. Scott Leonard Keith - January 11, 2016
- Free Audiobook: COMMON ENGLISH BIBLE – AUDIO EDITION - January 5, 2016