Baby Jesus by Karen Williamson is a board book telling the traditional nativity story. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of text in this book (3-4 sentences per page). It’s nice to see some actual dialogue in a book geared towards children ages 3-5. The book does a good job of hitting all the highlights of the nativity story including:
- Angel visits Mary
- Trip to Bethlehem
- No room at the inn
- Jesus born in a stable, wrapped in cloth and placed in a manger
- Angels visit shepherds
- Shepherds visit Jesus
- Wise men follow the star
- Wise men visit King Herod
- Wise men present gifts to Jesus
The final page of the book depicts the wise men presenting gifts to a toddler-sized Jesus outside of what appears to be a home. I’m very thankful that the author was bold enough to depart form the tradition of wise men visiting Jesus at the stable and present this scene in a manner better fitting with the biblical text.
Chris Embleton-Hall’s illustrations are a lot of fun and will appeal to the intended 3-5 year old audience. A key feature of this candle tabs series are tabs on every page. Each tab reveals a portion of the scene from the next page, which can be a help to keep those with shorter attention spans engaged. I also think the tabs are useful for helping little ones easily page through a book too.
My overall rating is 5 out of 5 stars.
This product was provided by Candle Books (Kregel Publications) for review. The reviewer was under no obligation to offer a favorable review.
Latest posts by Shaun Tabatt (see all)
- Book Review: The Garden, the Curtain and the Cross - April 2, 2016
- Book Giveaway: Being Dad: Father as a Picture of God’s Grace by Dr. Scott Leonard Keith - January 11, 2016
- Free Audiobook: COMMON ENGLISH BIBLE – AUDIO EDITION - January 5, 2016