Craig Hurst said in February 28th, 2014 at 9:49 am

Few thoughts:

1. I don’t expect hollywood to necessarily tell the story the same way Christians might tell it if they were making a movie out of it. Esp with the Son of God movie in which there could clearly be room to tell the gospel and we have more material to work with in presenting Jesus more clearly.

2. There is not much in the Flood account period for anyone who makes a movie out of it (Christian or not) and not add narrative to make a film. Even Christians would have to add stuff to make a movie out of it. The issue then becomes, does the added material fit with the biblical material? Does it enhance what is said in Scripture or does it distract or take away from the text? I think this can be done responsibly in preaching and it could in movies as well.

3. Related to the first point, even if Christians produced a movie out of the Flood (or any other story for that matter) there would still be disagreement among Christians about how accurate it would be. I bet that if you had a person who believed it was an historical event and someone who did not they would both make somewhat different movies. Each would tell it in a manner that accorded with their historical, or lack thereof, understanding of the text.

As a good Baptist, I will leave it at 3 points:)

Shaun Tabatt said in February 28th, 2014 at 9:55 am

Thanks for weighing in Craig and for being a good 3-point Baptist. 😉

Carey said in February 28th, 2014 at 5:53 pm

It’s hard to weigh in when the movie hasn’t been released yet. I’m optimistic. There have been many, many movies based on biblical themes, that, though not perfectly accurate, have done more good than harm(my humble opinion). Passion of the Christ is a notable example. Some of the points Snowden makes are important… justice/mercy, the reality of sin, etc. are all important topics for conversation in a culture where such issues are ignored, for the most part.

Shaun Tabatt said in March 1st, 2014 at 9:04 am

You’re right Carey. It is hard to weigh in when the movie isn’t in theaters yet. I too remain optimistic.

BJ Mora said in March 23rd, 2014 at 6:26 am

FYI the panel at NRB – including John Snowden – had all seen the most recent cut of the movie, though if I was paying attention, I believe there was still editing being done as of the last week of February which is probably why the entire movie was not screened… as other Christian themed movies were during that convention.

Shaun Tabatt said in March 25th, 2014 at 10:35 am

Thanks for the additional context BJ.