Don’t miss out on this chance to expand your LOGOS Bible Software library for free. This month (September 2015) they are offering ‘Amos: A Mentor Commentary’ by Gary V. Smith (Christian Focus, 1998). Order yours here: LINK.
This month only, you can also get Joel & Obadiah: A Mentor Commentary for only $1.99. Order yours here: LINK.
About The Book:
The book of Amos is full of wordplays, double entendres, pictorial visions, and direct statements of fact and judgment. Smith’s job is to address the historical, stylistic and interpretative aspects of Amos: not just what is written, but also how and why the prophecies are recorded. To do this, Smith divides each of his chapters as follows:
- Important textual and philological questions
- Background study on the literary traditions and forms of speech employed
- Rhetorical markers of structure that unite paragraphs or larger units
- Exegetical issues of interpretation
- Main theological themes within each unit
Smith deals especially well with the last of these. Each chapter ends with him drawing together the interpretative threads arising from the passage.
About The Author:
Gary V. Smith is Professor of Old Testament at Midwestern Baptist Seminary, Kansas City.
Latest posts by Shaun Tabatt (see all)
- Book Review: The Garden, the Curtain and the Cross - April 2, 2016
- Book Giveaway: Being Dad: Father as a Picture of God’s Grace by Dr. Scott Leonard Keith - January 11, 2016
- Free Audiobook: COMMON ENGLISH BIBLE – AUDIO EDITION - January 5, 2016